Monday, March 28, 2011

Flowers from the Garden for CeCe and Lee's wedding

I love being able to pick flowers from the garden and put them to good use! Last weekend I had the perfect opportunity with CeCe and Lee's wedding. Flowering branches of bridal wreath spirea, cherry blossoms and kerria japonica, and plump tulip blossoms found their way into some of the designs.
Sometimes garden gatherings are the little touches- but they can add so much to the total impact. The cube vases above hold one of my new fun favorites- ornithogalum balancae- I say this tongue in cheek because the green stems are from a flowering bulb that is pretty invasive. I am happy that I have found a great use for these green tufts in spring time designs.
This is the chartreuse green foliage from another one of my spireas. It was a great substitute for a flower that I was not able to get from my supplier and added a bright wispy element to the bride's and bridesmaids' bouquets.
The picture above is a close up of Kerria japonica. I love these golden yellow frilly flowers. They pop out on long wand like branches and light up designs with their brightness.
Aren't these tulips gorgeous! They are an early double flower form called Foxtrot, and while CeCe wasn't sure that she would use tulips- I wanted to have them on hand just in case... They worked beautifully in the bridesmaids bouquets and some were an impromptu addition to the reception tables.
Tomorrow I plan to put up some shots of the bouquets. I wish I had had more time to take pictures of some of the other designs, but it just didn't happen- hey I am not a photographer. So I'm really looking forward to seeing the great pictures of the wedding that were taken by Nancy of Nancy Ray Photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment