Sunday, November 14, 2010

Zinnias and a Wedding

Some of you may have noticed that a lot of the pictures I post of flowers have zinnias in them. I thought that I might share why I love these flowers so much, (and those dear brides who have already heard this story, please bear with me).
When I was the young bride-to-be, I knew the names of very few flowers. The only flowers that I was familiar with at the time were roses and carnations. So when I visited the florist to discuss wedding flowers, I thought that since my bridesmaids were wearing blue dresses, I would ask for carnations- dyed blue. Hmmm.... blue carnations.... I wasn't super enthusiastic, but I went ahead and requested them anyway.
As I was walking out of the shop, I thought, "Yuck, I don't want blue dyed carnations!" And then I remembered the many visits to my grandmother's garden and her little zinnias... I turned around and asked the florist, "Can I change the blue carnations to pink zinnias..."
And the dear woman said, "Why, yes."



No comments:

Post a Comment